Saturday, July 27, 2013

Being a Christian is more than words...



Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him. He asked people for change to buy food - NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit n the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation. "We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek." The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation. The homeless man sitting in the back stood up and started walking down the aisle. The clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him. He walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment then he recited, 

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

'The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning. Many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame. He then said, "Today I see a gathering of people, not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples. When will YOU decide to become disciples?" 

He then dismissed service until next week.

Being a Christian is more than something you claim. It's something you live by and share with others.

5 comments:

pinktiger335 said...

First of all, I'm so glad you're on here. I feel a bit alone here but very free to type.

I read this a few days ago and I'm glad he did this. It tested people. Sometimes we all need reality check to see how we are doing. Most people aren't willing to help those in need. Not only help them but treat them like equal human beings. It's so easy to be mean and ignore people but that's not a way people should be treated.

Elizabeth said...

Reyna, I know. It's so weird here. I actually like wordpress better as it gives better updates and a place you can reply to a comment better.

Amelia said...

Elizabegth, a great, great entry. Very typical, unfortunately.

On blogrolls, have you tried bloglovin for keeping track of all your blogs you are following? You can put all your favorite blogs, whether they are blogger, wordsmith, whatever and create your own blogroll. They also send you a daily emailed update like xanga once did.

Have a blessed day! Amelia

Elizabeth said...

I have not Amelia. Thanks, I'll check on it.

pinktiger335 said...

Elizabth, I figured that I would go on with wordpress if Xanga changed to wordpress but if it doesn't then I will try it here. I just enjoyed being able to personalize this page so much. :) But, I still don't know about where to receive the comments. Some parts are still confusing.